Blount County Government
Maryville, TN 37804

US Passports

*** Beginning January 3, 2017, appointments are needed for Passport Services. Please call (865) 273-5800 between the hours of 8:00am and 4:30pm to schedule your appointment.

Passport service is available at our Courthouse location only, 8am to 4pm, Monday through Friday.


You will need to apply in person with the following:

1.       A certified copy of your Birth Certificate (No photocopies are accepted)  It must contain the full names of the applicantís parent(s).

2.       A valid Driver License or State Identification

3.       One (1) official Passport Photo (Passport photos are not available onsite.)

4.       Marriage certificate (for women) to explain the name difference from their birth certificate

5.       Two (2) Checks or Money Orders (See fees below)


The application form for new passports will be provided in the office when you come in.  Please visit for up-to-date information regarding U.S. Passport regulations and International travel.


A passport card facilitates entry and expedites document processing at U.S. land and sea ports-of-entry when arriving from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean and Bermuda.  The card may not be used to travel by air.  Otherwise, it carries the rights and privileges of the U.S. passport book.

A passport book allows you to travel to many more locations via more modes of transportation than the passport card alone could.  It is possible for you to apply for and have both the passport card and the passport book.


Minor children must apply in person.  All children regardless of age (including newborns and infants) must have their own passport.

1.       Submit proof of U.S. Citizenship.  You must submit one of the following:

         Certified U.S. birth certificate; or

         Previous fully valid U.S. Passport; or

         Report of Birth Abroad (Form FS-240); or

         Certification of Birth Abroad (Form DS-1350); or

         Certificate of Citizenship or Naturalization from USCIS.

NOTE:  A certified birth certificate has a registrarís raised, embossed, impressed or multicolored seal, registrarís signature, and the date the certificate was filed with the registrarís office, which must be within 1 year of your birth.

2.       Present evidence of childís relationship to parents/guardians.  You must submit one of the following:

Note: Previous U.S. Passports are not acceptable as proof of relationship to the applying parent(s)/guardian(s).

         Certified U.S. birth certificate (with parentís names); or

         Certified Foreign Birth Certificate (with parentís names and translation, if necessary); or

         Report of Birth Abroad (Form FS-240) (with parentís names); or

         Certification of Birth Abroad (Form DS-1350) (with parentís names); or

         Adoption Decree (with adopting parentís names); or

         Court Order Establishing Custody; or

         Court Order Establishing Guardianship.

Note: If the parent(s)í/guardianís name(s) is/are other than that on these documents, evidence of legal name change is required.

3.       Provide parental identification.  Each parent or guardian must submit one of the following:

         Valid Driverís License

         Valid Official U.S. Military ID

         Valid U.S. Government ID

         Valid U.S. or Foreign Passport with recognizable photo

         Naturalization/Citizenship Certificate from USCIS with recognizable photo

         Alien Resident Card from USCIS

Note:  Social Security Card does NOT prove your identity.

If none of these are available, you will need:

         Some signature documents, not acceptable alone as ID

(Example: a combination of documents, such as your Social Security card, credit card, bank card, library card, etc.)

4.       Present parental application permission documentation.

1.       Both parents must appear together and sign or

2.       One parent appears, signs, and submits second parentís notarized statement of consent authorizing passport issuance for the child (a notarized Form DS-3053, Statement of Consent: Issuance of a Passport to a Minor Under Age 16, or a notarized written statement with the same information on a sheet of paper and a copy of the front and back side of driverís license from the non-appearing parent) or

3.       One parent appears, signs, and submits primary evidence of sole authority to apply (Such as one of the following):

         Childís certified U.S. or foreign birth certificate (with translation, if necessary) listing only applying parent; or

         Consular Report of Birth Abroad (Form FS-240) or Certification of Birth Abroad (Form DS-1350) listing only applying parent; or

         Court order granting sole custody to the applying parent (unless childís travel is restricted by that order); or

         Adoption decree (if applying parent is sole adopting parent); or

         Court order specifically permitting applying parentís or guardianís travel with the child; or

         Judicial declaration of incompetence of non-applying parent; or

         Death certificate of non-applying parent.

If none of the above documentation is available, the applying parent/guardian should submit a Form DS-3053: Statement of Consent or Special Circumstances: Issuance of a Passport to a Minor Under Age 16.

NOTE: A third-party in loco parentis applying on behalf of a minor under the age of 16 must submit a notarized written statement or affidavit from both parents or guardians authorizing a third-party to apply for a passport.  When the statement or affidavit is from only one parent/guardian, the third-party must present evidence of sole custody to the authorizing parent/guardian.

A Passport is good for 10 years for an adult (over 16 years of age) and for 5 years for a minor (under 16 years of age).

Children under 18 years of age must have a parent or legal guardian with them when applying for a Passport.

All applicants must apply in person for a Passport.




Application Fee

Overnight Service

(if applicable -

for book only)



Execution Fee


Payable to the U.S.

Department of State

Payable to the Blount County Clerk

Passport Book

(age 16 & older)




Passport Book (under age 16)




Passport Card (age 16 & older)




Passport Card (Under Age 16)

Requires both parents to be present or the absent parent to complete a DS-3053




Passport Book + Card

(age 16 & older)




Passport Book + Card

(under age 16)





The U.S. Department of State will only take checks or money orders.  It would be preferred if you would bring your checkbook.  The County Clerk portion of the fees may be paid by check, cash, or credit or debit card.  A 25Ę plus 2% processing fee is added to all credit or debit card transactions.

You will not be issued a Passport immediately here.  The completed application will be sent to the Passport Services in the US Department of State.  For up-to-date processing times, please refer to


You may request to have your newly issued passport book sent to you using overnight delivery service.  The fee is $15.45 payable at the time of application.  Only the passport book will be returned via overnight delivery.  Passport Card-only applications are not available for overnight delivery service.

The U.S. Department of State does offer an expedited application option for an additional fee of $60.00 per application.  Expedited applications have been processed and returned to the applicant in as little as 10-15 business days.

In order to get your passport the same day, you will need to travel to one of the following agencies: