Computer and Job Skill Classes
Microsoft and Google Apps Computer Courses – Registration Required
Free computer classes are offered in Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint (2016), and Gmail. Receive an opportunity to gain a nationally recognized certificate from Northstar Digital Literacy. Is your workplace moving over to Google-based products? Sign up for free classes in Google Drive, Docs, Sheets, Slides, and Calendar. Course descriptions, schedules and online registration forms are available below under Class Information and Registration. The free classes meet in the Blount County Public Library’s Learning Lab, a stand-alone building on Cusick Street, across from the library’s outdoor sign. If you desire to enroll in computer courses but do not have computer experience, you will need to practice using a mouse before you may enroll. Listed are a few practice websites available: www.mouseprogram.com and www.pbclibrary.org/mousing/mousercise.htm.
Social Media for Business Classes – Registration Required
Nearly 7 out of every 10 Americans are on social media. You want your marketing to be where your customer base is, yet not every social media platform is a good fit for every business. Join us for this eight-part, stand-alone series on Using Social Media for Business. Discover which tools are the best fit for your business, gain strategies to engage new and existing customers, create highly optimized, high quality ads, capture leads, drive brand awareness, and monetize the social platform. *These are single-session, stand-alone classes. Course descriptions, schedules and online registration forms are available below under Class Information and Registration. The free classes meet in the Blount County Public Library’s Learning Lab, a stand-alone building on Cusick Street, across from the library’s outdoor sign. Feel free to bring your own device or a laptop will be provided for you.
Spaces are limited and online registration is required. For assistance with the online registration please visit the library’s Adult Services (Reference Desk) or call (865) 982-0981, ext. 1450, or (865) 273-1428.
Class Information and Registration
Go to the Blount County Public Library's Form Center to see available Microsoft, Google Apps and Social Media Business computer classes, description and to register. Classes are in alphabetical order by class title with date.
It's Your Career Soft Skills Training ClassesOnce a month on Fridays, 7:30 a.m. to 10 a.m.
Registration is required. See below class synopsis and registration information. This class will be at the Blount County Public Library’s Learning Lab, a stand-alone building on Cusick Street, across from the library’s outdoor sign.
For Class Synopsis and Registration Informationwww.blountchamber.com/community/festivals-events/soft-skills/bcpl.populr.me/itsyourcareer
The ARCONIC Foundation Global Internship Program is made possible through a generous grant from the ARCONIC Foundation. It is provided by the Institute of International Education, Blount Partnership, Blount County Public Library and the Blount County Friends of the Library..
Paid Internship Program For Young Adults Interested in Manufacturing Careers:
Are you between the ages of 18 – 26 and would you like to get paid to intern at a local manufacturer? Join us June 10 through
July 31, 2019 to gain training and real-world, hands-on manufacturing experience with the possibility of getting hired permanently. Spaces are limited and registration is required. Contact Jackie Taylor-Tente with questions and to register, at 865-680-7668 or firstname.lastname@example.org For More Information go to bcpl.populr.me/arconic-internship-program Deadline to Apply: Wednesday, June 5, 2019
The program consists of three components:1) June 10 – June 28: 3 weeks of Workforce Readiness Training (60 hours)
- Training will run 1-5 p.m., Monday - Friday. During this time participants will receive training in skills needed to obtain and maintain a job in the manufacturing field. Participants will receive a $300 stipend upon completion of this component.
- The Internship will be at a local manufacturer where participants will be paid $10/hr. for 100 hours, get hands-on job experience, and potentially get certifications such as forklift operation.
- Participants then return for Follow-up, Career Fair and Graduation. Participants will receive a $60 stipend upon completion of this component.
Saturday, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. (1st Saturday of each month)Ages 16 and up come play with all the cool tech in the Learning Lab! Lab equipment includes 3D printers, a vinyl cutter, a heat press, and other small electronics. Learn more about materials costs, equipment certification, and lab policies by emailing email@example.com Open Lab will be in the Learning Lab, a stand-alone building on Cusick Street, across from the library’s outdoor sign.
- During Open Lab, Saturday, June 1, 1 p.m. to 4 p.m., “Fun with the Microbit.” Coding is not limited to creating programs for your desktop computer, laptop or phone. Learn how to write code for the MicroBit (www.microbit.org), use its sensors and display to create cool gadgets that continue to work after being disconnected from the computer. This workshop is led by Thomas Proffen of ORCSGirls, a nonprofit, to inspire girls in the Oak Ridge area to explore technology, coding and science. Workshop targeted towards teens but open to all ages.
- During Open Lab, Saturday, July 6, 1 p.m. to 4 p.m., “Make a Website Using HTML/CSS.” In this workshop, students will learn the elements of HTML and CSS and use them to create a website. Using a text editor and web browser, students will edit web page templates and use them to make their own website. This workshop is led by Thomas Proffen of ORCSGirls, a nonprofit, to inspire girls in the Oak Ridge area to explore technology, coding and science. Workshop targeted towards teens but open to all ages.
Need help with technology and don’t know where to start? Have a tough research question? Need a new resume? Having trouble with R.E.A.D.S.? Go to https://goo.gl/forms/35a9eT5qArPctgmU2 to complete a registration form to schedule assistance from a professional library staff member, and get help setting up your own personal learning plan using library resources.